The Complete Beginners Guide to Carpet Cleaning
FRIDAY, AUGUST 16, 2019
Today I will give you the complete beginners guide to carpet cleaning. This guide will give you the tools and knowledge you need to be an expert, without having to pay LARGE amounts of money.
Carpet cleaning can be broken down into 4 simple steps:
- How to combat stains
- What chemicals to use
- How frequent must carpet be cleaned
- General maintenance and upkeep
Understanding these 4 -steps will give you all the knowledge you need to keep your carpet clean, healthy, and new.
#1 How Do I Combat Carpet Stains?
I think you would agree with me when I say that carpet stains can be frustrating and extremely difficult to clean. However; knowing the basic rules when it comes to carpet stains can be helpful, and in some cases save the carpet from being stained permanently.
Here are the basic guidelines for cleaning carpet stains:
- Always dab the stains with a towel, never rub, this could worsen the stain
- Try to remove as quickly as possible, allowing the stain to sit will make it worse
- If you do not have a special cleaning product, try using ¼ cup white vinegar and 1 tbsp. of dawn dish soap, then mix it with water
- While most stains can be removed, some require expert technical skill and products. For more information about our specialty stain removal service click here!
#2 What Chemicals Should I Use?
With so many different options, it can difficult to know which chemicals/products to use for your carpet. Knowing which chemicals work best on your carpet, can save you time and money.
Here are some basic guidelines when it comes to carpet cleaning chemicals:
- Most carpet stains are acidic: food, beverages, and body fluids, therefore; they require a neutral solution (pH of 7 or above) to remove
- Most common household cleaners including: borax, baking soda, and mild dish soap have a pH of 7 or above and work well with removing stains
- Make sure carpet cleaning chemicals are SAFE for kids and pets
- Consider investing in a small stain removal machine, which can be efficient in removing stains from your carpet
Learn more about Chem-Dry's green-certified products here!
#3 How Frequent Should I Clean My Carpet?
Carpet, just like any other flooring, should be cleaned on a regular basis. Dirt and other allergens can build up daily in your carpet. Frequent cleaning is the best way to keep your carpet healthy and clean.
Here are some basic guidelines:
- Vacuum carpet at least weekly, for high traffic areas it could be more
- Have your carpet professionally cleaned at least once a year
- Replace carpet anywhere from 5-15 years, or when problems are evident
#4 General Maintenance and Upkeep
Here are some general tips when it comes to your carpet:
- Always make sure carpet is dry, moist carpet can attract mold and other bacteria
- Invest in good carpet padding underneath
- Avoid placing carpet in high moisture areas
- Understand any manufacturer requirements
With this complete beginners guide, you are now ready to clean your carpet like a pro! Follow these 4 steps and your carpet will look as good as new. BACK TO BLOGS